It's taken me a year and a half of being vegan to make vegan nutella.... what on earth have I been doing?! I finally reached this milestone of vegan alchemy and I have to say I'll be reaching for this nutella most mornings. So, I thought I'd share this pure awesomeness with you Angels.
As you can see in the photo below I used this recipe as a topping for some mini banana muffins I made - the recipe for those is by Minimalist Baker.
1. Pre-heat your oven to 175 degrees C and roast the hazelnuts for 10 minutes.
2. Remove the hazelnuts from the oven. Leave them to cool for 5 mins, before tipping them onto a clean tea towel.
3. Rub the hazelnuts with the tea towel and/or in your hands, being careful if they're still a little hot, to remove as much of the hazelnuts' skins as possible. This will make your nutella a lot less bitter.
4. Blend the hazelnuts in a food processor until they almost reach a buttery consistency (i.e. similar to nut butter).
5. Add in the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
6. Transfer the mixture to a jar and store it in the fridge. If it solidifies too much for when you want to use it, just scoop some out into a small bowl and blitz it in the microwave quickly (around 10-15 seconds). If you heat it for too long the chocolate might burn so be careful.
7. Enjoy! I personally love it on toast, or in porridge along with banana, or of course as a topping for cupcakes and muffins.
Let me know what you think and share your creations of this recipe with me over on Instagram! I hope you have a day as awesome as you are.
Love, Ally x