Berry Crumble Bars
Hey lovely people! I hope you're having a great day, but if not then I hope the recipe for these crumble bars makes it a little better.
I made these on Friday evening and half of them had mysteriously disappeared by Saturday... I guess they must have been good?! Tip: store some away for yourself before they get devoured by your family.
For the bottom layer:
2 tbsp light/soft brown sugar
Pinch of salt
80g coconut oil, melted
For the berry layer:
350g frozen berries (I use blackberries, raspberries, red currants and black currants)
1 tbsp water
3 tbsp chia seeds
For the top layer of crumble:
50g ground almonds
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
2 tbsp maple syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C and line a square tin with grease proof baking paper or foil (if using foil, coat it with vegan margarine or coconut oil).
2. Blend the oats and nuts for the bottom layer in a food processor. Then add in and blend the sugar, salt and melted coconut oil until fully combined.
3. Press the bottom layer mixture into the lined tin and bake for 15 minutes. Take ot and leave to cool once done.
4. Meanwhile, add the berries and water to a saucepan and heat on medium until the berries have broken down (you will most likely need to mash them a bit with a wooden spoon). Add in the chia seeds and stir until evenly combined. Take the pan off the heat and leave to cool and thicken, stirring occasionally.
5. To make the crumble topping, combine the ingredients in a bowl until fully mixed together.
6. Tip the berry mixture on top of the bottom layer in the tin, and spread it evenly. Then use your hands to add the top crumble layer until the berry layer is fully (or almost fully) covered.
7. Bake in the oven again for around 20 minutes. Once they're done, leave them to cool completely before you cut them as the coconut oil will re-solidify and hold the bars together. I left mine overnight.
8. Enjoy with some vegan custard or vegan ice cream! And don't forget to hide a stash for yourself away from hungry family members, haha.
I'd love to hear your thoughts if you make these - tag me @allytheearthling on Instagram or use the hashtag #allytheearthling in your captions!
Keep on looking after yourselves.
Love, Ally x