Just looking at these cookies makes me feel like it should be Christmas day already. What are your thoughts? If you watched by Instagram story you'll know that the icing took a little practice... but I got there eventually! I've adapted this recipe from Minimalist Baker's so here it is for you Angels to try.
1 tbsp milled flaxseed
2 tbsp water
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup peanut butter
3 tbsp molasses
1/4 cup vegan butter or margarine (I used Pure)
3/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda (/bicarbonate of soda)
1 1/2 cups and 2 tbsp plain flour
For the icing (optional) - 2 cups icing sugar and 1-2 tbsp plant-based milk
1. Combine the flaxseed and water in a small bowl and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
2. Combine all of the other ingredients excluding the flour in a mixer (not a food processor) or use a wooden spoon to do it by hand.
3. Mix in the flour a bit at a time.
4. Once the dough has come together, chill it in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C (350F) and line some baking trays with grease-proof paper.
6. Roll the dough out onto a floured surface until it reaches the thickness of a £1 coin.
7. Cut out your preferred shapes.
8. Transfer them carefully (I used a thin spatula to help with this) to the prepared baking trays and bake for 8 minutes or until slightly browned on the edges.
9. Leave the cookies for 3 mins once out of the oven, then transfer to a cooling rack.
10. (Optional, for if you want to decorate the cookies) Take the icing sugar and add the plant-based milk a little at a time, combining fully until adding any more. You want the icing to be thick so it doesn't run.
11. Put the icing in a piping bag - make your own using a freezer/food bag if needed - and get decorating! This may take some practice to get it right,
12. Leave to set for 10 minutes and enjoy!